Week 1 in the field!


Hola mi familia!!

First week in North Carolina! All i can say is wow! I'll be really honest, this week went by really slow. But I am liking it here and I feel like i am learning a lot about how to be a missionary. I sent you guys a letter so hopefully you can involve that in the weekly post or whatever! It is basically a summary of my first full day here.

So my companions are great! Elder Ferolino is from Gilbert, AZ and Elder Dillon is from Farmington, UT. Elder Ferolino says he doesn't know the Montgomerys but he says the names sound familiar. They are both really good at spanish and have been helping me as much as they can. Its hard though because here in Hendersonville there is not a lot of spanish work, so we end up speaking a ton of english. Elder F has been out for 18 months and he is getting moved to be a Zone Leader tomorrow. So Elder Dillon and I will be getting a new companion.

I feel like we did a ton this week, one day when it was nice we went to multiple parks trying to find people to play in basketball, they said they usually go beat people then teach them a quick lesson after! But i guess it wasnt a nice enough day because no one was playing. We have taught a few lessons but Elder Ferolino was sick for a couple of days so those days we were kinda cooped up and we slept a lot :). We have eaten meals with a few families and then the last couple of days we have been going around to see a lot of families so Elder F could say bye to them before he leaves, he has been here for 7 1/2 months so it was hard to say bye to some of them.

Last night we went over to the Harnages house and they fed us and everything, but it was hard for me because it was a Sunday night and they were just hanging out as a family and it made me miss the Sunday nights at home. I've been trying really hard to not get homesick but its been hard this week. I think about you guys all the time. My companions said it gets easier over time.

One day we were tracting (in a trailer park) and we came across the Ponce family. We were able to go back and teach them (even though i didn't say much at all, spanish) but it doesn't look like it will go anywhere with them because we gave Karina a Libro de Mormon and she didn't seem too interested in it. I was really bummed because she would have been the first investigator that i really got to see progress.

The first night i got here, we went and taught Hermano Guzman (again in a trailer park), it was super interesting because i had no idea what was going on. But they had be bear my testimony and it went pretty well. It is hard to learn Spanish here, but i know its possible because both of my companions have done it!

Our ward mission leader, Manuel, owns a mexican restaurant and it is sooo good! We went there my first day and we are going again today. I would go everyday if i could!

President Craven and his wife are 2 of the nicest people ever! We stayed at the mission home for the first night and she cooked for us and everything, so good! Especially after the MTC and compared to the stuff in Hendersonville.

Well I am really enjoying it here for the most part! I am super glad to be serving the Lord. I love you all and I think about you all the time!

Much love from NC
Elder Sisk

P.S. What is the Dunkley's address?
P.S.S. A random thought, be super grateful and thankful for all that we have. The houses here in Hendersonville (especially the spanish speakers) are super crappy and always dirty and gross. They all find ways to be happy and cheery even when they don't have much or they are all crammed in a little house. The members always keep the Savior in mind and never doubt that everything will be okay. Just remember that, because we really are so blessed to live where we do and have what we have.

Questions:

-Yes with the pants, i was going to ask you if you could send me some more Nike Elite socks? They are super comfy and we rarely take our shoes off so they would totally be fine. Try to get some cool colors or something if you can, cause the basic ones get old :)

-Our apartment, oh boy.... It is super crappy I'll be honest. Its really dirty and stuff but it gets the job done, luckily we are just 19 and 20 year old boys and it doesn't really matter where we live!

-No we never cook for ourselves, we eat out everyday for lunch, but they said most dinners will be with members.

-I am with Spanish missionaries but we do a lot of English work.

-No news on Visas, but i really hope they come soon.